As part of a roll out of a host of new features, LinkedIn are introducing it’s users to ‘dark mode’. Many other websites and apps already have this feature with the claim that dark mode is easier on the eyes.
You may wonder what the fuss is about but there are many internet users who prefer dark mode or at least the option to toggle between dark mode and light mode. Allegedly less power is needed to run dark mode so it’s possible that if everyone used it, there could be a significant saving to the environment.
IS IT AVAILABLE ON MOBILE AND DESKTOP?
YES! Thankfully, it is possible to access dark mode however you use LinkedIn. If you switch to dark mode on one (i.e. desktop), it doesn’t change the other (i.e. mobile app).
HOW TO SWITCH ON DARK MODE
As LinkedIn have only recently started to roll out dark mode, don’t despair if you don’t have it yet. As with all new roll-outs, you won’t get a notification, you’ll just have to keep checking to see if you have it. Here’s where to do that:
- Click the Me icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage. On mobile app this is the tiny profile photo you see at the top left of your screen next to ‘search’ OR the settings cog top right of your screen.
- Select Settings & Privacy from the dropdown menu. On mobile app, just click ‘settings’.
- Under Account Preferences on the left, click Display.
- In the Display section, click Change next to Dark Mode.
- From here you can select:
- Device setting: This is selected by default for members who have dark mode enabled on their device.
- Dark mode: To switch to dark mode.
- Light mode: To switch to light mode
IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE WE SHOULD KNOW?
I don’t think so. It’s very simple really. LinkedIn haven’t tried to do anything unusual while designing this so there are no surprises.
The only advice I would give is to make sure that your profile will ‘work’ in dark mode. LinkedIn switches black text to white etc. but you may want to check your banner and profile photo to make sure nothing will be ‘lost’ as LinkedIn can’t change your own visuals. If you found this useful, please hop over to LinkedIn and follow me and also my hashtag #LinkedInSimplified. That way you’ll get all my tips in your feed!